Monday, March 8, 2010

A Poem

No Place To Go
By Edgar Albert Guest

The happiest nights I ever know
Are those when I've no place to go
And the missus says when the day is through
"Tonight we haven't a thing to do".

Oh the joy of it and the peace untold
Of sitting round in my slippers old
With my coffee and book in my easy chair
Knowing I needn't go anywhere.

Needn't hurry my evening meal
Nor force the smiles that I do not feel
But can grab a book from a near by shelf
And drop all the sham and be myself.

Oh the charm of it and the comfort rare
Nothing on earth can with it compare
And I'm sorry for him who doesn't know
The joy of having no place to go.





Linda sent this to me today and I loved it! I did edit one word to suit me a little better...I substituted pipe for coffee...I haven't ever sat in my chair with a pipe and book, but many times my coffee and a book!! Thought it was more suited for my blog!

1 comment:

Beth Ann said...

Is my mom the "Linda" above mentioned? Sounds like her... we have several volumes of Edgar Guest poetry. Love your posts!